I was surfing looking for more Ketogenic advice. I found this easy to understand video. In it Dr. Phinney gives us Tips for maintaining low carb for a long time (Video 25 min. mark):
- Filling up with fat. Choose saturated and monounsaturated fats primarily.
- Keep the carbs low.
- Keep yourself at a range where you stay in nutritional ketosis, which allows the body to have a free flow of fat fuel to all organs in the body. To satisfy oneself by the moderate protein, high fat and
- Make sure that you eat the right kind of fat, which is stay away from the liquid vegetable oils that are rich in omega-6s.
- Emphasize those that have not have high monounsaturated like olive oil or high oleic safflower or possibly even canola oils.
- Then eat a variety of if you wish for taste and for variation, eat a variety of low carbohydrate vegetables and I even in my 25 to 50 grams of carb intake per day
- I find room for berries if I have a hundred grams of blueberries or raspberries or blackberries. I have that with cream makes a delicious dessert and so that one can have even a small amount of berry fruit in in the daily diet and that gives a opportunity for excellent variety.
BOOK: The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living, who should read this book. https://www.amazon.com/Art-Science-Low-Carbohydrate-Living-ebook/dp/B005CVV2AE
Dr. Phinney explains that originally when Dr. Volek (co-author from University of Connecticut) and he were writing it (the book), we realized that most physicians have no major background in nutrition and so we found ourselves writing in it the entry level for a well-educated smart person, but somebody who hadn’t had previous coursework in nutrition.
BONUS: The New Atkins for a New You Cookbook