Is it possible to gain muscle mass when you are doing intermittent fasting?
What To Do To Help Gain Muscle Mass:
1. Eat 2 meals a day. This means at the very minimum do intermittent fasting 16 hours. You are eating two meals and no snacks.
For example, your first meal is at 10:00 in the morning and your next one is at 6:00p.m. Do a minimum of 16 hours of fasting to see improvement.
Intermittent fasting to spikes growth hormone. To lose weight, as you get used to fasting, start increasing the fast hours to more and more until you get to a point where your are fasting 21 hours with a three hour eating window if possible.
We also have to make sure you have enough calories because if your meals do not have enough food it is going to be hard to grow muscles. You need to determine how many calories you need. The average person will need somewhere around 1,500 calories per day or a little bit more.
2. Exercise volume. Exercise using heavy weights and really working your body to the point where you are getting sore and you are creating change.
3. Carbohydrates. Keep your carbs on the high end but not go over 50 grams well depending on your age. If you are younger do 60 to 70 grams but do not any higher to get the benefits of ketones. You will be consuming enough carbs to keep normal insulin. When you do a low carb diet and intermittent fasting we are bring insulin into a normal range. You are still going to have the anabolic effect of insulin but you are just not going to have the insulin resistance. As you do this you are going to have the benefit of absorbing these amino acids.
Sometimes people think they need to spike insulin to gain muscle mass. They load up on carbs because carbs trigger insulin, and insulin is an anabolic hormone. But, when you stimulate insulin too much, you create insulin resistance. If you have insulin resistance, you cannot absorb protein or amino acids that well.
This is why a pre-diabetic or a diabetic or someone that has insulin resistance does not absorb protein or amino acids that well. You are trying to gain muscle mass but all this glucose and this insulin is creating a resistance to that protein going in your body.
There is this product called Serious Mass. You are supposed to take this product and bulk up. Just two scoops is 252 grams of carbohydrates. The first ingredient is maltodextrin, which is way worse than sugar, it is way worse than high fructcose corn syrup, it is 110 on the glycemic index. What is going to happen? You are going to bulk up but you are going to bulk up with a lot of fat this is going to spike your blood sugars and create a lot of complications.
4. Having a complete protein. Branched chain amino acids are not complete. You cannot build muscle protein with just a partial profile of amino acids. You need the most complete protein. The best protein is egg protein. Fish is good. There are other types of essential amino acid blends. If you are fasting 16 hours up to 21 hours you are not going to lose muscle, make sure you have enough amino acids, have 6 to 8 ounces per meal depending on your age. If you are a little younger and you are more active maybe you do 9 ounces per meal.
5. Get your nutrients (calcium, B vitamins, magnesium, vitamin D, potassium). You do not build muscle with just protein, you need other nutrients: calcium, B vitamins, magnesium, vitamin D and potassium. All are necessary and this is it is best to do the healthy version of keto.
A Few Things That Can Slow Down Muscle Gain Or Cause Muscle Loss:
1. High Cortisol. Cortisol is a stress hormone. That can come from not sleeping.
One problem with women going through menopause is the adrenals are backing up the ovaries and there is a spike in cortisol and a lot of times we have a loss of muscle and it looks like fat but it is atrophy. So cortisol is very destructive on your muscle so you want to keep your stress as low as possible.
2. Long fasts (72 hours). If you are doing prolonged fasting. Do not go past 72 hours if you are trying to maintain your muscle mass. Not that it is going to be a problem but if you are new to this if you go too long and you do not have enough reserve of vitamins and minerals built up it could create a little loss of muscle.
3. Insomnia. Sleeping increases growth hormone and cortisol inhibits growth hormones. This is one way to create a loss of muscle mass.
These are the factors that can help you maintain muscle mass or even help you experience muscle gain while doing intermittent fasting.
This Post has been condensed from Dr. Berg’s video, Intermittent Fasting and Muscle Mass Gain https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzknJGLYk9I
Dr. Berg is a chiropractor who specializes in Healthy Ketosis & Intermittent Fasting. He is the author of the best-selling book The Healthy Keto Plan, and is the Director of Dr. Berg Nutritionals. He no longer practices, but focuses on health education through social media. He has taught students nutrition as an adjunct professor at Howard University.
Disclaimer: The content of this email or Post is not intended for the treatment or prevention of disease, nor as a substitute for medical treatment, nor as an alternative to medical advice. Use of recommendations is at the choice and risk of the reader.
There are various ways to keep up-to-date on my Posts.
My focus is to maximize my physical performance and mental clarity and most importantly overall health with a wholesome diet and exercise.
I will bring you compelling articles on Ketogenic and GAPS diets, the Super Slow High-Intensity Exercise Program and supplements.
I invite you to follow my Blog https://2healthyhabits.wordpress.com/ Please click the Follow button. Hint: You may have to click the Accept and Close button before the follow button is available. Please Click Like when a Post interests you.
Alternatively, you may wish to follow my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/2healthyhabits/ or follow on Twitter @LPolstra
If you send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org I would be pleased to add you to my email distribution list.
If you are reading this Post in my Blog and wish to contact me, please fill in this form starting with my email address email@example.com
May you Live Long Healthy.