1. Beverages: Water, tea, and coffee are fine to have while fasting. Drinking water while fasting is beneficial. Certain types of tea may actually help you fast for longer and decrease hunger. Dr. Berg recommends green tea. Coffee is fine, but don’t overdo it.
2. Supplements: Taking certain supplements while fasting is important. This includes taking vitamins, electrolytes, B vitamin in the form of nutritional yeast, trace minerals, nutritional yeast, and omega-3 fatty acids. A green drink without fiber (like wheatgrass juice powder) is fine. Avoid protein powders and branched-chain amino acids. You can try bone broth or MCT oil, but they don’t work well for everyone. MCT oil will shift to burning MCT not your own body fat, but is good for the transition into keto.
3. Really hungry: Don’t eat unless you are really hungry. If you meet your fasting goal, but you are not hungry, and you feel like you can go longer, then go a little longer. But do not go too far to the point where you are weak, tired, irritable, or dizzy.
4. Fast: The longer the fast, the more important it is to refeed slowly. If you do a fast for 48 hours or longer, make sure that when you do eat, it is just a small amount of food. Then wait and gradually have more to avoid bloating.
5. Insulin resistance: A good indication of how bad your insulin resistance may be is how long you can fast. If you can fast easily, your insulin resistance may be much better. If you cannot fast for very long, you may still have insulin resistance, and you just have to give it more time and keep working at it. (Slowly increase the length of the fast until you reach your desired fasting hours.)
6. Intermittent fasting: Always do healthy keto with intermittent fasting (fast for 16 hours and have two meals in the eating window. For example noon and 6 p.m.) The healthy keto diet may help keep your insulin low when you do eat and may provide a wide range of health benefits. (Do not cut calories unless you are satisfied.) A high-carb diet could minimize the effects of intermittent fasting.
7. Longer fasts: It may be beneficial to do periodic prolonged fasting. Longer fasts may provide additional benefits. There are three potential benefits that people can get from doing regular intermittent fasting (16 hours): weight loss, cognitive benefits, and mood benefits. But, periodic prolonged fasting could potentially support the brain and immune system, as well as provide anti-aging benefits. (Burning ketones does not create the free radicals that burning glucose does.)
This Post has been condensed from Dr. Berg’s video The Most Important Rules Of Intermittent Fasting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7s8K_CLOrs
Dr. Berg is a chiropractor, who specializes in Healthy Keto & Intermittent Fasting. He is the author of the best-selling book The Healthy Keto Plan, and is the Director of Dr. Berg Nutritionals. He has taught students nutrition as an adjunct professor at Howard University.
Disclaimer: The content of this email or Post is not intended for the treatment or prevention of disease, nor as a substitute for medical treatment, nor as an alternative to medical advice. Use of recommendations is at the choice and risk of the reader.
There are various ways to keep up-to-date on my Posts.
My focus is to maximize my physical performance and mental clarity and most importantly overall health with a wholesome diet and exercise.
I will bring you compelling articles on Ketogenic and GAPS diets, the Super Slow High-Intensity Exercise Program and supplements.
I invite you to follow my Blog https://2healthyhabits.wordpress.com/ Please click the Follow button. Hint: You may have to click the Accept and Close button before the follow button is available. Please Click Like when a Post interests you.
Alternatively, you may wish to follow my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/2healthyhabits/ or follow on Twitter @LPolstra
If you send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org I would be pleased to add you to my email distribution list.
If you are reading this Post in my Blog and wish to contact me, please fill in this form starting with my email address email@example.com
May you Live Long Healthy.